Garden State Sheep Breeders
Fleece Show & Juried Sale (Saturday)
General Fleece Sale (Sunday)
Includes fiber from sheep, goats, rabbits, llamas and alpacas
In 2013 premiums will be paid for the Fleece Show!!!! Premiums will be paid as follows: 1st place - $10 ; 2nd place - $8 ; 3rd place - $6. Fleece checkin will be held on Saturday between 8:00 - 9:30 AM AND Sunday between 9AM -10AM at the fairgrounds. The same entry form is used for both the Fleece Show & Juried Sale and the General Fleece Sale. The entry fee is $3 per fleece, and there is a limit of 4 fleeces per class for each family/ farm for the Fleece Show & Juried Sale. Currently, there is no limit on the number of fleeces that may be entered in the General Fleece Sale.
Fleeces for the Show and Juried Sale must be checked in Saturday between 8:00 - 9:30 AM or Friday 3-5PM. Judging begins at 10:00 AM. The top 10 fleeces will receive detailed written comments from the Fleece Show Judge. Fleeces will go on sale at 2PM Saturday, as well as on Sunday if the owner chooses to participate in the General Fleece Sale on Sunday. There will be no sales until judging completes and the sale begins at 2PM Saturday.
Ribbons will be awarded for 3 places in each class. The Best in Show will receive a rosette. The judge will split classes of greater than 10 fleeces, and can move a fleece to a more appropriate category as needed. All entries must be claimed by 3PM on Sunday.
Fleeces for the General Sale may be checked in Friday afternoon or Saturday or Sunday morning, although checkin priority will be given to Show Fleeces on Saturday morning, to ensure all Show Fleeces have been checked in by the time judging begins (10AM).
1. Each fleece must be clean, free of tags and vegetation, and have no second cuts.
Don't bring moldy or insect infested fleeces!
We reserve the right to reject fleeces which do not meet minimum standards.
4. If you will not pick up your sales proceeds before 3PM on Sunday, provide a self addressed envelope for us to mail you your proceeds.
5. Any fleeces not picked up by 3PM on Sunday become the property of the Garden State Sheep Breeder's, and will be handled at their discretion.
Fleece Show and Sale Rules:
1. Fill out two entry forms
for each fleece if registring in paper, only one is needed if registration
is done electronically. One should be placed
in a business size, self-addressed envelope and put the envelope (containing the completed form)
inside the plastic bag. This allows us to identify the fleece, while hiding the identity of the owner from the judge during the judging process.
A second copy will be taken by the staff at checkin and used for tracking
your payment (if for sale) and show status if you are doing paper checkin.
4. Only whole fleeces will be sold, as we can not be responsible for dividing fleeces after judging.
General Fleece Show Rules
1. Fill out two entry forms for each fleece if registring in paper, only one is needed if done electronically. One form should be placed inside the plastic bag so that buyers can read the information. The second (copy of the) form will be kept by the checkin staff to track what is sold and returned to you when you claim any un-sold fleeces if you register in paper (not needed if you register electronically).
2. Fleeces will be arranged on display tables using the same division/classes as the Show Fleeces.
3. For large fleeces, consider dividing them into several smaller fleeces for the sale portion of the Festival as the typical purchaser is not looking for fleeces greater than 4-5 pounds due to the overall cost, regardless of the price per pound.
Division/ Class Definitions (also included as page 2 of the entry form)
Note: We reserve the right to create a new class if there are sufficient entries (~10 fleeces). Typically the featured breed will have it's own class, and there are usually enough Shetland & Romney fleeces to have their own class.
Page Last Updated 5-September-2013